In Raleigh, North Carolina, summers are hot and muggy while winters are short and very cold. It’s the roof that has to bear the brunt of that prompting the need for roof repairs and replacement.
However, as a homeowner, when can you say your roof needs repair instead of a replacement? Or put it the other way, when can you say your roof needs replacement instead of just repairs?
To help you, we’ll discuss in this blog the factors that you should consider in deciding which one your roof needs. But before we dive into that, let us first discuss what is roof repairs and replacement and the signs you should look out for each.
This usually involves fixing small damage only without needing to replace many parts of the roof. They are typically quick, easy, and inexpensive. Generally, you may need repairs in Raleigh if your roof has the following:
- Holes or gaps. These can become an entry point for water or small animals and insects. So long as they are small enough to patch up, then roof repairs will suffice.
- Cracking or curling shingles. These may be due to the roof’s constant exposure to extreme weather. As long as the cracks and curling affect only a few shingles, then they can still be repaired.
- Granule loss. Shingle roofs are coated with protective granules to shield them from the weather. Once these granules start to run off, so does the protection. Roof repair may be able to fix them.
This involves more extensive work than roof repairs as it refers to the replacement of a damaged or old, worn-out roof with new materials. It can be a partial or complete replacement, depending on the damage sustained.
To know whether you need a roof replacement, here are some of the signs you need to watch out for:
- Extensive leaks. While a few leaks can still be fixed by simple patch-ups, extensive leakage problems will need a roof replacement since they are more cost-effective and long-lasting.
- Sagging roof. This is a sign of a structural problem, thus, roof replacement is the best option as roof repairs may not be enough to address the issue effectively.
- Extreme moss and mold growth. While moss or mold growth in certain parts of the roof is something that you should not be alarmed about, extreme or widespread growth already warrants a full roof replacement.
Other Factors to Consider
Aside from the warning signs, here are the other factors that you should also keep in mind in deciding between roof repairs and replacement in Raleigh.
- Age of the roof
Roofs have an expected lifespan. They will not last forever, no matter how strong and durable they are. Depending on the type of roof you have, that lifespan can range from 15 to 100 years or even longer.
As the roof ages and as it’s nearing the end of its lifespan, it will start to function less effectively and efficiently than it did when it was new. Thus, roof replacement may be the best way to go. But if the roof is still new, then roof repair may already be enough.
- Extent of the damage
How severe or extreme was the damage sustained by the roof? Does it include minor damage only or does it already involve major damage?
Keep in mind that if the damage is only minor, perhaps roof repairs may still work. But if the damage is already severe or extreme, it might be too overwhelming for just simple repairs. Instead, roof replacement may be the best option to go.
- Areas affected
Which section or parts of the roof was damaged? Is it only isolated or does it already affects almost the entire roof itself?
If the damage is only limited to certain areas or sections, roof repairs may still work. But if the damage is already widespread, roof replacement may be the best way to go.
This is perhaps one of the biggest factors you should take into consideration. How much are you willing and able to pay? Roof repairs generally cost less than roof replacement since they involve minimal work only.
However, keep in mind that roof replacement may also be more cost-effective in the long run. You can save thousands of dollars by replacing the roof instead of repairing them, especially if the roof is already old and severely damaged.
Looking for an expert in roof repairs and replacement?
Choose Roman Roofing! We are an expert in both roof repairs and roof replacements. We’ll perform a thorough roof inspection beforehand to determine which roofing service is right for you. We will discuss our findings with you and we’ll lay down which option is the best to take. Give us a call today for a free roof inspection and consultation!