The best residential roofing materials protect your home.
When it comes to roofing materials for your home in North Carolina, two options stand out: asphalt shingles and metal roofing.
Both choices have their merits and drawbacks, and selecting the best one for your home depends on various factors, including climate, aesthetics, durability, and budget.
In this article, we’ll delve deeper into these two popular options to help you make an informed decision.
- Affordability: Asphalt shingles are budget-friendly. They are one of the most cost-effective residential roofing materials, making them an attractive option if you’re looking to keep expenses in check.
- Variety: Asphalt shingles come in an extensive array of colors and styles, allowing you to choose the perfect look for your home. Whether you prefer a traditional or modern appearance, you’ll find an option that suits your taste.
- Easy Installation: Roofing professionals can quickly install asphalt shingles, which can translate to lower labor costs. This ease of installation can also reduce the disruption to your daily life during roof replacement.
- Adequate Durability: While not the most long-lasting option, asphalt shingles can still provide reliable protection for 15 to 30 years when properly maintained. They can withstand the occasional storms and hot summers of North Carolina.
- Limited Lifespan: Compared to metal roofing, asphalt shingles have a shorter lifespan. You should be prepared to replace them sooner, potentially incurring additional residential roofing cost down the line.
- Maintenance Requirements: Asphalt shingles may require more frequent maintenance, including inspections and repairs, to ensure they remain in good condition.
- Exceptional Durability: Metal roofing is renowned for its longevity. In North Carolina, where weather conditions can be unpredictable, metal roofing can provide peace of mind, lasting 50 years or more with minimal maintenance.
- Energy Efficiency: Metal roofing reflects sunlight, which can help keep your home cooler during the scorching North Carolina summers. This can lead to reduced energy bills and a more comfortable living environment.
- Resistance to Weather: Compared to other residential roof types, metal roofs excel in harsh weather conditions. They are highly resistant to moisture, pests, and the high winds associated with storms and hurricanes.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Modern metal roofing comes in various styles and colors, dispelling the notion that metal roofs are limited to an industrial look. You can achieve a sleek, contemporary appearance or mimic the texture of traditional shingles.
- Initial Cost: The upfront cost of metal roofing can be significantly higher than asphalt shingles. However, it’s essential to consider the long-term benefits, including lower maintenance and replacement expenses.
- Aesthetic Preference: While metal roofing offers versatility in appearance, some homeowners may still prefer the traditional look of shingles. This is a matter of personal taste and home design.
Making the Choice: Best Residential Roofing Materials for Your Home
Choosing between asphalt shingles and metal roofing ultimately depends on your priorities and budget.
If you’re looking for an affordable option with a variety of styles to choose from, asphalt shingles may be the better choice.
But if you’re planning for the long term and value durability, energy efficiency, and resistance to the elements, metal roofing may be the best option.
Let Roman Roofing Help You Decide!
Whether you’re leaning towards the affordability and versatility of asphalt shingles or the exceptional durability and energy efficiency of metal roofing, we’ve got you covered. Our expert team specializes in a wide range of residential roofing materials to meet your specific needs. Get in touch with us now and let us help you make the right decision!